Saturday, December 09, 2006

Booklist: Today's finds

1. Anthony Trollope - "The Way We Live Now"
2. Etgar Keret - "The Nimrod Flip-Out"
3. Alain Badiou - "Infinite Thought" (I wonder what John Steel or Saharon Shelah would make of Badiou)
4. Knut Hamsun - "Mysteries"
5. Ismail Kadare - "The Palace of Dreams"

Special mention:
Pierre Klossowski - "Nietzsche and the Vicious Circle" (The fiction of Klossowski, like that of Ronald Firbank, is important precisely because it is so unnecessary. The peculiarity of the experience he describes gives possibility a new meaning.)

4 Comments:

Blogger tangled said...

I am affronted.

11:09 AM  
Blogger * said...

this is interesting, two books on Nietzsche, tell me more, why these?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Does Badiou say much about Nietzsche? I guess I just haven't read far enough...

As for the other one, I confess my fascination with Klossowski was the reason I got it. I liked what I read of "Roberte ce soir". Klossowski possesses a special intrigue for me - as the brother of Balthus (intrigue by association?); for playing perhaps the most interesting character in the most deeply affecting movie I've been fortunate enough, or unfortunate enough, to see - Bresson's "Au Hasard Balthasar"; and finally, as a writer who renounced writing (like Rimbaud, like Laura Riding, like des Forets - to stop writing, it often helps to take writing too seriously).

10:36 AM  
Blogger * said...

I don't know whether Badious says much about Nietzsche, just recently became interested in him - and haven't seen the movie, but it sounds very interesting.....

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home