Thursday, August 09, 2007

List: Definitions of Poetry

1. William Carlos Williams - "A poem is a small (or large) machine made of words"
2. Ezra Pound - "Dichten = Condensare"
3. Raymond Queneau - "Un jeu simple/que j'invimple/dans la nuimple" = (translation?) "A simple game/that I made up/in the dark"
4. Robert Frost - "Where words become deeds"
5. Wallace Stevens - "Poetry is the pheasant disappearing in the brush"

Special mention: Carl Sandburg - "Poetry is a diary kept by a sea creature who lives on land and wishes he could fly" (quoted by Wislawa Szymborska)

3 Comments:

Blogger Crp said...

Do parodies count ?

And what about the "spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings" -- a phrase I find painful even when I try to read it at a pomo-meta level.

9:01 AM  
Blogger woolgathersome said...

At least I still have your lists and definitions to note and enjoy at various and unpredictable times....

K

12:02 PM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

crp, I really like that poem, it's just that Ashbery is never really serious. That's too uncomfortably close to my own sensibility for me to approve.

K, small comfort, that. Only recognize that less than your best would still be a boon, as to set the mind wandering hopefully at sea.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home