Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Pleasures of Insanity: Fleur Jaeggy's Writing

In other news, Fleur Jaeggy is one hell of a good writer. Hers is the sort of writing that is dismayed by expectation; it is easy to judge her unkindly. Bravely, she surrenders - surrender to the artifice of emotion. "Sweet Days of Discipline" is deeply unsatisfactory. Yes, it's deep, and that distinguishes it.

Do you think that's a very uninformative review? Well, she's written a very uninformative book. I hope to have done justice to it...

An interesting tidbit about Jaeggy: she's married to Roberto Calasso. How to construct the person from the writer - that endlessly absorbing puzzle.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alok said...

which book review do you subscribe to? I mean, I want to know where do you know all these names? :)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

This particular book was obtained the old-fashioned way, at a used book sale. Among reviews, I like the Review of Contemporary Fiction the best.

8:37 PM  
Blogger * said...

oh wonderful. I just was thinking today I should reread her again. 'Sweet days of discipline' is somewhat...I think it is very good & read it some 5 years ago, from my memory I think it is a very apt description of some incorporation of some horrible ideals. They are so lost that they go so much for the overkill even tho they know it destroys them because there is no way for them to establish any form of a self.

2:52 PM  
Blogger * said...

oh wonderful. I just was thinking today I should reread her again. 'Sweet days of discipline' is somewhat...I think it is very good & read it some 5 years ago, from my memory I think it is a very apt description of some incorporation of some horrible ideals. They are so lost that they go so much for the overkill even tho they know it destroys them because there is no way for them to establish any form of a self.

there is a book with stories,toothat is same sort of 'disconcerting'

2:53 PM  
Blogger * said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:53 PM  
Blogger * said...

oh cheshire, i did it again wrong with the comments. can you delete the superfluous ones?

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home